As some of you may know I am an avid runner. Much of my “spare time” is spent doing this activity. A lot of my friends will ask me questions about they can become a better runner and I often tell them to start with their shoes. If you don’t have a good pair of running shoes you are doing yourself a disservice! I always recommend my favorite brand…Brooks!
Brooks shoes are great because they have a shoe that fits every running need. Whether you need a racing shoe, guidance shoe, stability shoe, or just a pair of good, comfortable running shoes Brooks has it! This is where my Google search started for Brooks…
1) Running shoes- 15th result on the first page of Google search
2) Guidance shoes-Brooks website appeared as the first result.
3) Stability shoes-Brooks website was the last result on the first page
4) Racing shoes-Brooks website was the first result on the second page
5) Running- Second page of Google search
6) Athletic shoes-Not on the first five pages.
- Brooks does not classify their product as “athletic” shoes. While this is fine for their branding many of their competitors like Nike and UnderArmor are prevalent in this search. This maybe something Brooks considers in their SEO strategy.
7) Running gear-Last result on first page
8) Fitness apparel- Did not appear in first 10 pages.
- This could be big area of opportunity for Brooks because while they did not appear in this result neither big competitors, like Nike.
9) Best shoes for distance running-Did not appear in first 10 pages.
- This could also be another are of opportunity for Brooks because, again many of their competitors did not appear in this search. Brooks has shoes that are great for distance running and could capitalize on this!
10) Run Happy-First result on the first page.
- This is Brooks mantra so I was happy to see it as the first results!
Overall I believe Brooks has done an adequate job of implementing high SEO techniques. Aside from appearing in the “fitness apparel” and “best shoes for distance running” searches here are some other ways to improve SEO:
Do a better job of including keywords in their coding. For instance, while browsing their running apparel many codes contain links like:
To optimize visibility on Google Brooks could include words like running apparel or running shirt in these links.
From my perspective Brooks does a great job of appealing to runners. I know what types of running shoes are available, but beginner runners or those not as versed in running shoes may not know to search for “guidance shoes” or to find the right shoe. Brooks has “shoe advisor” on their website. I would love to see this feature appear higher in the search results when searching for specific shoes.